Tiny Evolution Adventure Tiny Evolution Adventure

The whole look and feel of your game is very impressive for 48 hours worth of work. Simplistic goal, decent pixel art and a nice difficulty curve that welcomes all types of players, but pushes them to perform well. A nice technique of yours that I noticed was that the music doesn't reset after your die. It simply pauses and resumes once you're back. It creates a nice stream-lined feel that doesn't completely halt the immersion nor does it create frustration.

I don't want this next part to affect your overall score because this may be just me and my wonky computer, but I feel this should be noted. When controlling the character on stage 3 with all the jump-biting, I realized the controls were locked during the biting animation. This caused many water and eel related deaths. Also (on the same 3rd stage) just biting while moving seemed to make the character jerk forward and I couldn't correct the movement. Those are the only noticeable hiccups I found. Let me know if that was your intention or if my computer needs a solid slap to the processor.

Thanks for the really neat game.

Ace Pilot Ace Pilot

I'm not exactly sure how to approach this review. The submission is supposed to be a game, but I felt it was an interactive movie. I'll say that the overall experience was bittersweet.
On the bitter side was the game controls and (lack of) mechanics. I mean you just fly in circles shooting at the weak spot for a strenuously extended period of time. All the while firing missiles which you hopelessly watch fly in circles unless you fire it head on. Other than that you just hold down the mouse button and wait. I was expecting the game over screen to pop up and tell me I needed to do better because of the amount of times I needed my ship repaired. Then once I figured out that I couldn't really die, the 'game' just lost all of its flavoring.
Yet on the sweeter side, I found the characters and movie experience to be entertaining and fun to watch. Even though most of the jokes felt old, the presentation and delivery seemed to be fresh and got me to crack a smile more than once. I felt that the gratuitous amount of cursing only worked 50% of the time though. The universe seems to have a "Ratchet and Clank" feel to it, with the ebb and flow of dialogue, but you guys molded the world into your own unique entity. It was quite nice. The other thing too is that for as little screen time as all the characters got they all developed really rapidly and allowed the audience to connect with them.
All in all I think you guys would have been better off making more of a point and click cinematic experience instead of attaching the story to a poor excuse for a space shooter. I hope to see more of your work in the future.

Merry Invasion Merry Invasion

priorities

There are a lot of goods & bads to the game. The art and characters are very basic and bland, but the upgrade/IQ system is unique. The constant change of weapons and locations is pretty neat. The actual attacking is where this game really gets on my nerve. I completed the game and at every level I was always 'overkilling' enemies and losing lives or watching enemies with no health run past the towers which decided to automatically attack enemies with full health for no reason. There was no button to set the attack priority. It gets real old when you throw 5 irons into an enemy with practically no health. Also when the characters have to ready their weapons, become unready because a target is out of range, then re-ready themselves, its just mind-boggling to watch your lives disappear because of wacky programing.
This could have been a really fun game, but due to technical issues, it comes up just short and takes 2nd (heck even 3rd or 4th) place to other, better games.

Canabalt Canabalt

very nice

Simplistic and awesome. This is why I come to Newgrounds, to find little time wasting games when I'm bored. The music and the mono-chrome background were excellently blended and melded together perfectly, I also liked the nice touches with the background, the pigeons, and the planes flying by and shaking the screen.

Criticisms: The difficulty curve is pretty good, but it gets a bit hard to jump through the windows at blidning speed, then jump again to avoid the obstacles and when I was finally lucky enough to do that and jump out I had to deal with a falling bomb which I couldn't avoid becasue I was in the air and came crashing down on the bomb... yes that actually happened to me, but I wasn't angry, I laughed because for the first couple play-throughs of the game no bombs had dropped so I didn't know of their existence and all of a sudden boom.

Overall nice, but it takes a true master to perfectly time the jumps when going through the buildings and not screwing up after that.

The Facebook Game The Facebook Game

I laughed

A nice little time waster. I found it interesting you chose to make the player a girl while a guy (it looked like an emo dude) sat on the couch. Possibly implying that girls spend 24 hours on the computer achieving popularity status? I wouldn't know...
I was kinda disappointed, waiting for a message to come up saying how much of our lives we waste on facebook/myspace after you beat the game, oh well. Overall a nice little something to distract us from daily life.

AustinBreed responds:

Well, alright.

Super Mafia Land Super Mafia Land

seriously glitchy

The game is nice looking and has really nice attention to artwork and detail and even the character movement is nice and smooth, but that just glosses over the fact that you made a poor attempt at recreating SMB2. All you did was 'mafiaze' the main characters and everything else was done for you.
Then don't get me started on how glitchy the game was. I tried to bring a bomb through a doorway and blow open a hole in the wall, wasnt easy seeing as how you cant toss the bomb as soon as you go through the door, and if you try picking up the bomb when it explodes you're invincible during the picking up animation, then I died while using the bombs, but I glitched and it didn't register that I wasn't dead and so I had 2 or 3 copies of my character running behind my 'dead' character. Just no, to all people trying to make a mario flash game, just no. It can't be done unless you take the game itself and put it to keyboard controls... oh wait they already have that, its called an emulator. Terrible.

Run Elephant Run Run Elephant Run

Ha... interesting

Overall a good game, fun and somewhat challenging. It kind of reminded me of playing through a level in the game, Little Big Planet (LBP), meaning that your art style, with the cut outs of things and cardboard-ish style really resembled a fantasy world linked to LBP.
I really liked how the levels were different, yet the same in the sense that while the crowd background was used twice the essence of riding on a plane/whales back(?) was also the same in a sense. The other cool thing that I noticed was that the elephant moves in rhythm to the beat... if timed well. I was kind of getting into the game when that was happening.
But, every game has its flaws/downfalls as does this one. The first thing is when you stop moving you go towards the back of the screen. I at first felt this was OK because it will add some challenge and whatnot. Then you got to the pillar(whales back) level where you would have to jump between the pillars and all of a sudden be pulled back and have to restart. Also you are kind of flung back to the back of the screen. Maybe if the 'push back' was reduced it would be a bit better. I do get where the idea is coming from, you're going super fast and its wind pushing you back due to your velocity.
The other thing was the hit box on some of the enemies, the big one being the car chase one. Black outline and black asphalt do not mix. I couldn't tell you how many times I miscalculated a jump because of it. Just informing you that black on black does not work. :)
All around it was enjoyable, good job.

The Tower: Heart in Glass The Tower: Heart in Glass

nice

A decent tower/defense game. Although, it could do with some tweaking:
-early on the auto-towers decimated the troops (not too big)
-Satan is way too overpowered. Is pretty much a game breaker, but funny to watch.
-I didn't really use the powers other than Satan and laser eye (6th spell) primarily because once I realized my mana could only regenerated day by day (minus the mana building blocks) I didn't see any point to put money into the spells. (Maybe try a slow regenerative mana pool?)

Other than those reasons, it was a pretty decent game. Original (in a sense) and entertaining. Nice job.

Where on Earth? Where on Earth?

very biased

i could click mostly on europe and win, where's the diversity? yea you had like 2 or 3 in america, then a butt load in and around britin, and france etc, but what about the rest of the world? Absolutly nothing in the middle east, russia, south america, canada, austraila. nice concept but too easy and too centraled to get any more points from me

The Taste of Revenge The Taste of Revenge

meh, boring yet ok

a decent shooter. nothing really stood out. the pricing of stuff needs to be tweaked. i just bought the ak47... or whatever and didn't care about pistol or shotgun stuff... they kinda stunk. the pacing of the game however was pretty good. the innocents popped up at unexpected times but I din't shoot any of them... came close but no... meh